Explore Volos with a local!
Through the city’s urban landscape we will learn historical and cultural details of Volos, it’s recent past like the city’s connection with painter De Chirico, the industrial past and how Volos was once the second largest port of Greece. What happened in 1955 that changed completely the city and which is the link with Asia Minor, a bond that has defined modern Volos and it’s gastronomic identity.
Finally we will have a stop to taste “tsipouro” the local drink and learn the secret rules on how to order it like a true local!
When is it?
Check the dates!
1 week •28/3 – 2/4
1 week •25/4 -2/5 Greek Easter
1 week •23/5 – 28/5
•30/5 – 4/6
1 Week •6/6 – 11/6
1 week •20/6 – 02/7
2 Weeks •6/6 – 18/6
JULY -AUGUST -SEPTEMBER
All through summer and September we organize summer retreats and courses. Send me a message with the dates that fit you best and let’s create the course that is perfect for you!
1 Week • 3/10 – 8/10
- A Welcoming dinner on the day of the arrival, Sunday, at a traditional Greek taverna. Lets meet up and chat!
- Two hour morning lessons (with a 10min break) from Monday till Friday with a certified Greek language tutor, native in Greek. After the lesson you have the opportunity, both to practice with native speakers, in real life situations what you have learned in class and lots of free time to enjoy yourself with your family and friends. After all, you are on holidays, right?
- All the material for the lessons
- Coffee or tea during breaks (biscuits included!)
- A guided tour. Get to know a Greek mainland city. Learn historical and cultural details of the life through its urban landscape and not only. The history of Volos is rich and starts from prehistoric times and continues through Mycenaean, classical as well as ottoman and modern. Volos is also at the centre of the myth of the Argonaut expedition. It was from here that the ship Argo set off with Jason and the Argonauts for Colchis in the Black Sea to claim the Golden Fleece.
- A walk in nature in mountain Peilio, the perfect way one can take in the magic of the mountain’s atmosphere and explore hidden gems of unique beauty. Don’t forget that this is the mountain that was chosen by the Gods of Olympus as their summer residence as well as the home of the mythical creatures, the Centaurs.
Depending on your stamina and taste, we can choose the hike route that fits you best.
- Surprise send off gift and many smiles
- 2 Traditional Greek dance lessons. “Be a Greek” means also to dance like a Greek!
- Cooking with languages! A cooking lesson, on Saturday preparing a traditional Greek recipe, and using the language, communicating with the fellow students-chefs, having fun, and sharing a fantastic home made meal together!
- One more week of the morning language lessons to take your Greek to the next level!
- A wine tasting experience of greek wines and spirits at a local winery!
- A walk visiting south Pelio.
- Two more Greek dance lessons
- Two options (depending on the weather) An all day boat trip! Swimming, snorkeling, music, including food and drinks or an excursion to Meteora, a vast complex of giant rock pillars with monasteries made on the picks of the cliffs that creates a truly breathtaking and surreal landscape unique in the world. It’s is an Unesco World Heritage site since 1989 and an official holy place for Greece since 1995.
How big is the group?
How do I book?
Ready to be a Greek for a week? Send me a message with the dates you would like and I’ll get in touch to discuss the details.